01/26/19 -- So that was big gap, huh? The downtime was primarily a result of my main workstation quite literally erupting into flames, but I can't entirely blame that -- I also got a new job and a new 3d printer! Expect more updates soon, but I'm still in the process of getting everything sorted, so no promises... yet!
10/26/18 -- Wow, I've been busy lately! Still working on getting an automated process set up for the Tenhou service; got some more advice on how I can improve its schema and reporting capabilities, so it's probably worth the wait. Also, 2 bugs have come to my attention: first, gatsby-source-steam fails if you've played no games recently. It adds no nodes to the schema and queries dependent on them fail, which isn't great obviously, but perhaps worse, gatsby-source-lastfm is getting less tracks then requested sometimes and failing unit tests.
In the first case, I'm still deciding what to do, since the plugin itself doesn't really seem to fail -- only the queries that expect it to have added nodes to the schema -- so perhaps the smartest thing to do is fix that at the application level?
In the second... well, I'm not too sure where those lost tracks are going yet, or what triggers the behavior. Next steps seem to be dump out what tracks were present when the process fails, and try to identify which ones are missing from GraphQL. Additionally, all these little hard-coded asides on the homepage, while my article systems sits completely full of test data is getting a little ridiculous. I'll Try My Best™ to get it worked out as soon as possible.
09/27/18 -- My replacement for nodocchi.moe is done! (tenhou.danylik.com) Well, not quite done -- but far enough along to bring Tenhou functionality back online for our house mahjong graphs! Stay tuned for complete API docs / standalone site soon!
09/16/18 -- It turns out nodocchi.moe isn't actually down; in fact, it looks like they just banned us in particular -- guess they didn't like us getting our tenhou.net data from them, even though they have an export button... whoops! Consequently, tenhou graphing is down until I find a new source for that data. Kinda strikes me as odd, but on the other hand I didn' really ask to use it, so I guess they don't really have to notify me when they block me, either!
I'm working on creating my own database, but that means translating the tenhou.net API documents, implementing a parser for game logs, before collecting every game ever played on the service. Only then can I put up a quick API endpoint somewhere, and get my graphs back. Since I'm now doing all that work anyway, I figure I might as well go the extra mile and try to make something usuable for people in the English community who want to do stuff like this. It strikes me as terribly innefficent to just have everyone redoing the same work over and over again, pounding the tenhou servers with unneccasary work.
I'm also increasingly liking these asides on the frontpage. They're distinct from acticles in a nice way and serve to mark progress, but writing all this inline in the index page is silly. Perhaps I can try putting these messagges as commit messages. If I spend more time squashing down development commits, that could work.